Welcome to Timeline Photos. A few years back I started peeking around my archives in search of some of the first photographs I had taken. Here records my quest into better understanding my long term love of camera and experiencing the world with it in hand. All photos appear in chronological order hopefully revealing an evolution of how I see and what moves me to speak with light.

Images are licensed Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. You are welcome to share an image given that you credit me, Irene Kato, as photographer with mention of my blog link, 'irenekatophotos.blogspot.com'.

Contact irenekatophotos@gmail.com for information about prints, permissions, and on-site assignments. Thank you!!

(Photo credit Phil Monahan of Orvis)


Monday, March 18, 2013

An embrace of light


*Dedicated to a special friend and woman from my childhood who is very ill and being cared for in an ICU.  Sending warm light and love her way.*

I continue to be very fond of having about an hour on Monday evenings to myself, and I find myself looking forward to the walks on the levee with Sparkle.  The weather has been gorgeous, and the late day cool, breezy air welcomes me to my elevated levee view of the Mississippi River and downtown Baton Rouge.  Yes, I said "cool, breezy air" while still being in Louisiana.  A gift indeed, especially with the longer daylight hours it's wonderful.

On this given day, we walked on the both the bike/walker path and the river side flats.  Water continued to sit while flowers bloomed and trees greened a bit more.  I was very taken by the placement of the sun through the gathering of trees and vines, and realized that in just one week it was sitting just a bit higher than before.  Possibly I wasn't the only one aware as there were a good number of cyclists, runners and walkers making the most of the experience.

I had fun experimenting with the water reflections and the sun, hit the ground for some florals with great background bokeh and even tried a few sun placement shots between a horseshoe like tree split as I was walking back up the incline to leave.  As usual, time had passed very quickly and I had a handful of minutes to make it in time to pick up my daughter.  I squeezed in a couple silhouette shots of people as I made my way to the car, and started making plans in my head to do more of the same during my visit next week.

As I pulled out of the parking lot, instinct told me to turn and look one more time.  The sun was sitting softly like a golden ball of light within the ends of a tree branch.  Quickly I stopped the car and positioned myself in  the open car door to watch.  It was beautiful and timeless in a breath, and it changed before my eyes inviting me to soak it in before it disappeared.  I took a series of shots, and was lucky enough to have a sampling of people walk through the scene, too.  I felt it in me that this was something, and held it well without distractions to always remember.  Oh so to return to be able to do it again and again.


When feeling out a title I went through cycles of 'Just one more look', 'Stay with me', 'Instinct'.  'Embrace of light' was born out of the moment you stop as a photographer because you see, know, look for and wait for the right light.  We inherently know that that particular combination of light and nuance will not last forever and we take the best advantage to embrace and appreciate in our actions with our eyes and camera.  In that moment with the sun, I took it in with both self and tool, nearly making my wish to extend the experience true.  This is the gift and art, the action of embracing light.   On these things, I will think, process and share.






No comments:

Post a Comment