Welcome to Timeline Photos. A few years back I started peeking around my archives in search of some of the first photographs I had taken. Here records my quest into better understanding my long term love of camera and experiencing the world with it in hand. All photos appear in chronological order hopefully revealing an evolution of how I see and what moves me to speak with light.

Images are licensed Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. You are welcome to share an image given that you credit me, Irene Kato, as photographer with mention of my blog link, 'irenekatophotos.blogspot.com'.

Contact irenekatophotos@gmail.com for information about prints, permissions, and on-site assignments. Thank you!!

(Photo credit Phil Monahan of Orvis)


Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Thoreau Connection

There's a book with a collection of Thoreau reflections in my daughter's school that I enjoy picking up during morning reading time.  It's called "New Suns Will Arise: From the Journals of Henry David Thoreau" and it includes accompanying photographs by John Dugdale.  Today a photo of hay bundles caught me attention and took me to these Thoreau words:

"I sometimes walk across a field with unexpected expansion and long-missed content, as if there were a field worthy of me.  The usual daily boundaries of life are dispersed, and I see in what fields I stand." 
- August 23, 1845

Oh my goodness, am I connecting to some element that Thoreau speaks of in my visits to the farm property?  "...The usual daily boundaries of life are dispersed..."  All I can see is myself passing through the entry, as I call it, by the tree and looking across the field towards the big tree and its surrounding and feeling free and open.  Did Thoreau also feel that release of burdens?  

These images are from my last visit on January 7.  It was a long and wonderful one with just me and Sparkle at home.  I selected these three because they relate to my entry into the field, the big tree I first see, and the openness I cross.  I tinted them to be similar to the cynatype photos of John Dugdale's.  Even though not the same process, they will remind of the favor I have for the collection of words and images in the book.









No comments:

Post a Comment