Welcome to Timeline Photos. A few years back I started peeking around my archives in search of some of the first photographs I had taken. Here records my quest into better understanding my long term love of camera and experiencing the world with it in hand. All photos appear in chronological order hopefully revealing an evolution of how I see and what moves me to speak with light.

Images are licensed Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. You are welcome to share an image given that you credit me, Irene Kato, as photographer with mention of my blog link, 'irenekatophotos.blogspot.com'.

Contact irenekatophotos@gmail.com for information about prints, permissions, and on-site assignments. Thank you!!

(Photo credit Phil Monahan of Orvis)


Monday, January 2, 2012

And the pelicans came

I took my daughters out to the local lake towards the end of the day to see the visiting pelicans.  It had been two years since they spent some time there during this season, so their presence has been causing excitement.  Friends have been saying that they've seen hundreds, and my husband reported in after his rides to work that there were many gathered in the sky or diving for fish.

When we arrived, there were about 20 or so floating with the wind across the water, while a few found resting spots within the lake to preen themselves.  Exciting to see them again, but not worth the commotion people have been talking about.  My girls took off for the sandy area on the lake, and I stayed as close as I could watching the pelicans still interested in the amount of preening going on.

That's when it happened.  In the distance from the west, I saw a group of about 30 or more birds flying towards us.  With the golden orange sky behind them their silhouettes became larger and nearer as they circled overhead and back towards the lake to land.  "Wow!  That was amazing!!"  My little one ran off again, and I stood there with my older daughter smiling.  "Momma, more!!!!"  I looked back to the west, and there they were again, another grouping flying our way.  This time they came closer showing us the sun touching their bottom feathers as they flew into the water.  "Oh my goodness!!!" We were beside ourselves in amazement, and my daughter's smile and eyes gleamed.  "Momma, again!!!!"  Another wave took off from the west and came in once again.  The pelicans settled in on the water after that floating about different sections of the lake with that original few still preening themselves in the dark.

We stayed with them, and when we finally made ourselves go, we decided that we'll remember and talk the experience for our lifetimes.  It really was an amazing show.

















2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Irene. You're absolutely right. There's no form of entertainment more memorable than the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Victoria. Lately I've been more aware of the daily gifts in nature, and I'm not sure what's made me sensitive again. From sunrises to pelicans, these things seem to be making themselves more known. It's a good thing. Maybe that earth girl that went to the rain forest is still in there. :)

    ReplyDelete