Welcome to Timeline Photos. A few years back I started peeking around my archives in search of some of the first photographs I had taken. Here records my quest into better understanding my long term love of camera and experiencing the world with it in hand. All photos appear in chronological order hopefully revealing an evolution of how I see and what moves me to speak with light.

Images are licensed Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. You are welcome to share an image given that you credit me, Irene Kato, as photographer with mention of my blog link, 'irenekatophotos.blogspot.com'.

Contact irenekatophotos@gmail.com for information about prints, permissions, and on-site assignments. Thank you!!

(Photo credit Phil Monahan of Orvis)


Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bluebonnet Swamp Haunted Hike


Phantasmagoric.  That's what a friend said when he saw this photo.  It was the first time I heard the word, but I absolutely love it.  Its definition: 
1. having a fantastic or deceptive appearance, as something in a dream or created by the imagination.
2. having the appearance of an optical illusion, especially one produced by a magic lantern.
3. changing or shifting, as a scene made up of many elements.


I exposed the scene for 5 seconds propping the camera on the angled walkway edge.  I did it on a whim while refreshing myself on the techniques of night shots.  Every year after this event I tell myself that I've got to get out there on my own to just play around with my camera.  Maybe next year will be the one to get me out there.


This is actually the boardwalk taking you through the swamp.  On this night, called the "Haunted Hike", guides meet you at stations with a live creature and some candy.  If you want that treat, you've got to brave the snake, or the baby gator, or the...


...hissing cockroach!  It wasn't doing much of anything because the temps were in the 50's round here.  A guide had it laying on his arm while he illuminated it with a flashlight.  It's about 4 to 5 inches long and oh so unpleasant to see in person.  I like this image because it's pretty true to what was actually out there.



I haven't been a fan of skeletons and Halloween lately, but for some reason this skeleton worked with me.  I worked to get the red eyes and the darkened background through the angling of my camera with the above lights.  Maybe it's the voodoo-esque nature that makes me feel at ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment