Welcome to Timeline Photos. A few years back I started peeking around my archives in search of some of the first photographs I had taken. Here records my quest into better understanding my long term love of camera and experiencing the world with it in hand. All photos appear in chronological order hopefully revealing an evolution of how I see and what moves me to speak with light.

Images are licensed Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. You are welcome to share an image given that you credit me, Irene Kato, as photographer with mention of my blog link, 'irenekatophotos.blogspot.com'.

Contact irenekatophotos@gmail.com for information about prints, permissions, and on-site assignments. Thank you!!

(Photo credit Phil Monahan of Orvis)


Sunday, November 4, 2012

Find yourself in the temple

My husband helped organize a bus tour of Tokyo with good friends from his high school days, and one of our stops was to the Senso-ji Temple in Tokyo.  It is the oldest Buddhist Temple in Tokyo, and is visited by millions of people every year.  While we were there walking through the gates with thousands of others, I felt like I could either get swept away by the crowds or totally immerse myself and enjoy.  The second happened as a matter of fact once I got caught up in photographing and appreciating the people and place.  I actually wished to be left there for day or so because it felt so good in the moment.


Hozomon Gate Lantern
Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo
November 4, 2012

Millions pass under this lantern every year to visit and pray at Senso-ji, the oldest temple in Tokyo.  I was one of the many on Sunday, and really appreciated the immersion into the endless stream of people.  There's an exciting and moving energy shared when in such a space.

http://www.senso-ji.jp/



 In prayer and wonder

Main Hall
Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo
November 4, 2012

After moving with thousands of people through two large gates and past an osenka (incense) burner for healing, I climbed the steps of the Main Hall.  My girls had been with other family members, so it was a nice surprise to find my youngest daughter looking up at the woman in prayer.

http://www.senso-ji.jp/about/index_e.html

No comments:

Post a Comment