Welcome to Timeline Photos. A few years back I started peeking around my archives in search of some of the first photographs I had taken. Here records my quest into better understanding my long term love of camera and experiencing the world with it in hand. All photos appear in chronological order hopefully revealing an evolution of how I see and what moves me to speak with light.

Images are licensed Creative Commons BY-NC-SA. You are welcome to share an image given that you credit me, Irene Kato, as photographer with mention of my blog link, 'irenekatophotos.blogspot.com'.

Contact irenekatophotos@gmail.com for information about prints, permissions, and on-site assignments. Thank you!!

(Photo credit Phil Monahan of Orvis)


Friday, April 12, 2013

Meeting photojournalist, Steve Schapiro

The Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr. wall.  

Photo taken by Natalie of West Baton Rouge

Steve speaking with Lisa and Natalie of West Baton Rouge.

Thank you for the inspiration and meaning, Steve Schapiro!!

Just got in from hearing and meeting photojournalist Steve Shapiro at the West Baton Rouge Museum.  It was a wonderful night, and so very well done by the museum with jazz music, delicious finger foods, wine, and welcoming staff. I also met spoke a bit with his very kind wife, the friendly and talented Maura Smith.  Wow.  They are so people centered and oriented towards emotional connections.  Before his talk, his wife introduced me to him, "I want you to meet Irene.  She's been taking photos since she's been 12," and then I got to thank him for his work and contributions.  He smiled and was very appreciative of my excitement.

Every single photo that he shared from Heroes, he was able to discuss with an emotional layer.  Background, timing, what it meant to him, and what he wanted to show about the individual.  Muhammad Ali, Andy Warhol,  Jackie Kennedy, Robert Kennedy, Ray Charles, Samuel Beckett, Martin Luther King, Jr., Barbra Streisand, James Baldwin, Truman Capote.   His discussion of some of his photos during his talk and slideshow literally made me tear up because for each photo, no matter that they were taken nearly fifty years ago, he was able to reflect his insights about the subject and person.  When he segued into more photo talk he announced that entry and shared his art, vision and reason.  He's not just been in experiences and with significant US cultural icons, he has understood them and represented their spirit with intention.

After the talk as he stood by his table with no others around, he asked me how he did.  What a humbling moment to hear such an acclaimed photojournalist asking such a question.  I told him how much I appreciated his reflection and ability to speak of each photo and each subject with respect and understanding.  He let me know that those photos were very much intended and he knew what he wanted to share about the individual before taking the photo.  I also asked him is there a photo that he has NOT taken.  Yes, indeed.  He first mentioned not having photographed Barack Obama, which is something that he'd like to do one day.  He then discussed, please forgive me for not remembering who he spoke of, but an actor friend had visited his home and had his shirt off.  His abdomen was very rippled, firm and very impressive, and his presence very beautiful and confident.  He knew not to take a photo of the moment because of the subject's pride and privacy, but it was such an image.  I understood, and am so glad that I asked the question.  I'd guess that photographers know the photos that they have consciously chosen not to take because of what they understood AND respected about the subject.  I really appreciate knowing and learning from his answer the beauty of instinct and integrity as photographer.  Unfortunately, I did not have my checkbook to purchase one of his books, but he did graciously sign the promotional postcard provided by the West Baton Rouge Museum.  "For Irene, Best, Steve Schapiro".


My favorite Steve quotes and/or recollections.  I will add to these given more writing time.  :)

-"It's still a mystery to me as to what makes a photograph iconic."

-three components of a photograph.  Emotion, information and..... .  In response to a question to the changes that the digital age has possibly brought, he discussed that emotion in a photograph is not missing.  Information is most important.  Gone are the days of spending two to four weeks with your subjects to document them with photography.

-Every photo has intention.

-Consciously keeping two points of focus in an image tell the whole story.

-Interested to see each individual photographer's point of view of one moment in time in reference to his "Vote" image.


Visit http://steveschapiro.com/ to learn more about Steve's photography and bio.  Learn more about the West Baton Rouge Museum, too.

















-

No comments:

Post a Comment